Monday, January 17, 2011

Feta Soufflé

I told you all I would be back with recipes this week. But again I am hoping to do better with keeping up. This weeks recipe is inspired by a recipe I found at epicurious. I have taken their basic recipe and put my own twist on it.

Feta Soufflé


3 TBS minced garlic
1 tsp olive oil
salt
pepper


nonstick spray
breadcrumbs
1 TBS butter
2 TBS flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, minced
1 tsp thyme


4 eggs yolks
4 oz feta
6 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar


1. Preheat oven to 350. Combine garlic and oil in small custard cup. Cover with foil and back 20 min. Cool. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mash into paste. Maintain oven temp.



2. Spray Soufflé dishes with nonstick spray. Coat bottom and sides with breadcrumbs and place in baking sheet.



3. Melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly until mixture boils and is smooth. Stir in tomatoes, thyme, and garlic mixture. Remove from heat.



4. Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in base. fold in feta.



5. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat until stiff. Fold in base and pour into dishes.



6. Bake for approx. 25 min until puffed and golden. 



I really enjoyed mine, Daniel took a bite of his said it tasted good and then passed it to me to finish. I did learn two things though. 1. I NEED an electric mixer. Beating the egg whites by hand hurt. and 2. I have an odd assortment of dishes. I have soufflé dishes, but only one pan, no casserole dishes, no mixing bowls, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment