Sunday, March 6, 2011

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings

So I've completely and utterly failed at keeping this blog updated. I guess not having 3 days a week off really put a damper on things. I really am going to try harder to keep this updated. Especially since I am currently training to run a 5k and MUST eat healthier.  I did find a great website that I'm going to start trying to make my meals from. The recipes look great and they even include the nutritional information which I love. Today's recipe however does not come from there I got it from grouprecipes.com.

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings


1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 chicken (3 lbs) cut into pieces
1 TBS vegetable oil
4 large carrots, peeled and sliced (I did not use since I hate cooked carrots)
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp dried rosemary
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup frozen peas


Dumplings
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten


1. Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a bag. Add chicken pieces and toss to coat.


2. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Brown chicken in oil on all sides (8-10 min). 
Set  aside.


3. Put carrots, celery, onion, and rosemary in slow cooker. Set chicken pieces over vegetables.


4. Pour half  cup stock into a skillet and cook over medium high heats, scraping up brown bits.


5. Pour pan juices into slow cooker along with remaining stock. Cover and cook on High for 4-6 hours or on Low for 8-10 hours.


6. Add peas and stir slowly to combine.


7. Dumplings: In a bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, rosemary and salt. 


8. In a measuring cup combine milk and egg.


9. Add to flour mixture. Stir with a fork to make a lumpy dough. Drop dumpling mixture over chicken pieces.


9. Cover and cook on high for 25-30 min.

I really enjoyed this meal. The only problem that I had was that for a slow cooker meal it took A LOT of prep work. Daniel on the other hand wasn't to thrilled with it. I don't think I"m going to be getting him to eat dumplings again anytime soon. To bad really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment